What is the play for Worlds?

Home Forums Tournaments What is the play for Worlds?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  nabeel 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Phinnegan Lynch
    Phinnegan Lynch
    Keymaster

What are you guys thinking about playing for Worlds? I am considering YZG, Toad Bats, and Night March Vespiquen? Are the same decks from Nationals still good with Steam Siege being legal? Tell me your thoughts!

ShyGuyGoesByee
    Participant

I think the top decks for US Nationals will stay relevant, but some decks might take a hit from new cards being released such as Pokémon Ranger.
    We could also see some new decks, for example, the new Volcanion engine (Baby Volcanion, Volcanion EX, Blacksmith etc.) is nothing to laugh at imo.

Phinnegan Lynch
    Phinnegan Lynch
    Keymaster

Yea I totally agree. I feel like all of the decks that aren’t hurt by Ranger, that also did well at Nats, are just item lock decks, or Night March. I’m sorta scared that we are gonna have a meta full of Night March and its counters, just like at states.

JackStensrud
    JackStensrud
    Participant

I feel like the lack of prior tournament results could cause a lot of players to go with a safer play, since they’re not 100% sure what the meta will be, so unless somebody comes up with a deck that beats everything consistently, I think that the worlds meta will be mainly Night March, Trevenant, and decks that beat Trevenant and lose to Night March. I hope that I’m wrong about this, since that sounds like a pretty lame format.

fredx11
    Participant

Honestly VV seemed like a great play at Nats and I don’t see it getting any worse with steam siege. Only “bad” matchup I see is metal and with metal losing to night march fairly consistently I don’t imagine it seeing much play at worlds (I only know of one metal that top 64d Nats). Its one of the best night march counters and I don’t really see very many people teaching against it. Also the release of pokemon ranger will limit the amount of play jirachi sees which in directly benefits VV.

Nickster69
    Participant

I’m really convinced to play some type of toad variant because a lot of people are switching to straight night march rather than vespimarch because of pokemon ranger and I have tested pokemon ranger against toad and it doesn’t do much at all.

Anonymous

My suggestion for worlds would be Toad Bats. Toad bats has a solid matchup against trev and NM and can be a versatile deck with only a few bad matchups. Though it’s weakness to vileplume Vespiqueen is problematic and could causes the deck issues, despite its success winning Brazilian and uk nationals it has seen little play, nightmarch usually considered the safer choice. As for yzg and NM I would not suggest them because of boths 50 50 win rate against again other NM decks. Unless your the world’s best player of either of these, there’s going to be someone better or with better luck playing NM. Another solid play though might be vespipume. It has proven success as I mentioned before despite its tiny share of the meta and a favorable NM matchup. But on a last note, anyone playing in worlds should consider this. Your up against the world’s best players. Each one is going to try and counter the meta game as we are doing, testing against ranger, finding what beats it. Be prepared to show up at worlds and play against anything.

Phinnegan Lynch
    Phinnegan Lynch
    Keymaster

Yea Toad Bats seem strong. I’m just afraid of Vileplume. Basically every Vileplume variants is a bad matchup…

nabeel
    Participant

I wouldn’t play anything that can’t win under item lock with, given that this likely to largely be “NM vs Item Lock” worlds. Also not sure that you should expect the meta to entirely shift way from NM/Vespi – people always seem to overtalk the “shift” in the meta from Nats to Worlds. Even with a new set people are going to get conservative on what works because it’s Worlds and they get nervous. There’s still going to be quite a bit of Vespi, especially between Plume and NM versions, running around in two weeks.

No one likes being under item lock, but Zoroark, Zygarde, and a properly re-built Metal and Speed Dark can operate under item lock fine. So the question is which you feel comfortable with, is consistent enough for a long tournament, and can give Night March a good run.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  nabeel.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.